The following rules/terms and conditions for our short story competition must be followed. Please read them carefully before submitting:
1. Entries must be in English.
2. Entries must be the original and unpublished work of the entrant. This includes publication online, including (but not limited to) personal blogs or websites. Each entry must not be currently submitted for publication nor for any other competition or award.
3. Each story must stay within the 1,500-word limit will be accepted. This means any story up to and including 1,500 words. The title does not form part of the word count.
4. The closing date for entries is midnight GMT on the 31st January, 30th April, 31st July and 31st October.
5. No corrections will be accepted or refunds given.
6. You can enter up to three stories in each quartly competition.
7. £5 for the first | plus £3 for the second | plus £2 for the third.
8. Entries will not be accepted without prior payment.
9. Manuscripts must be typed using a clear font (eg. Times New Roman or Arial), 12pt, and double spaced.
10. Manuscripts should have numbered pages, with a covering page which states the following:
- Story title
- Your name
- Your email address
- Word count
11. Entries should be submitted as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org as a Microsoft Word Document (.doc or .docx), OpenDocument Text (.odt), or PDF (.pdf).
12. If you are entering more than one story, each story must be submitted as a separate manuscript. Ensure your email address is on the covering page of every manuscript.
13. Competition judges will be appointed by Cranked Anvil. The decision of the judge is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
14. Winners will be notified by email no later than six weeks after each closing date. (Except in exceptional circumstances where a delay cannot be avoided. If this is the case it will be announced on our website, and the winners then notified as soon as possible after that.)
15. The results of the competition, and the three winning stories, will be published on our website.
16. The author retains full copyright of any submitted story. However, by entering the competition the author gives permission for publication of the work on the Cranked Anvil website.
PLEASE NOTE: Entries not complying with all competition rules will be disqualified. Please make sure you comply with all rules, as no entry fees can be returned or refunded. The decision of Cranked Anvil and the judges is final, and no correspondence will be entered into. By submitting, you are agreeing to all competition rules, which are subject to change without prior notice.